ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIRS
… The fable that meets every office fine if you are adjusting it properly is in many cases not true. In this article we will discuss in ergonomic office chairs and related topics such as the benefits, requirements for an ergonomic desk chair and tips on how you yourself create a healthy working environment.
What is ergonomics?
Ergonomics is not a new concept, but it is very timely. The increase in sedentary (computer) work in conjunction with an increase in complaints such as back pain CHANCE and require a new vision of well-being within the workplace. Ergonomic here is the key concept and means that the work environment is adapted to the physical characteristics of a person and is safe, sound and efficient furnishings. Think of a desk or workbench which is set to the correct height and natural ergonomic desk chairs that support the body in the right place.
A good posture is essential for the proper functioning in the workplace. It is generally known that a bad sitting position leads to back and neck pain, which often results in a lower productivity and higher absenteeism. A healthy and ergonomic working environment is therefore to the benefit of both employees and the employer.
The benefits of an ergonomic office chair
An ergonomic office chair offers several advantages over the standard office chair. Below is an overview of the key benefits:
An ergonomic office chair:
– Supports the movements that the body makes
– Enables the body so that the muscles are less burdened and maintains optimum circulation and posture
– Improves posture allowing you to sit comfortably
– Reduces the risk of back and neck pain
– Improves work performance because you feel fitter and is not distracted by physical discomfort
What must an ergonomic chair?
The key to an ergonomic chair is that it stimulates your body to move. Our bodies are not made for sitting and for a long time to adopt a static position. However, the increase in office requests it or of our body. Choosing an office chair which adapts itself to the sitting posture and is adjustable to different planes, it is therefore important.
According to NPR 1813 directive must meet ergonomic chair with the following requirements:
– The seat height is adjustable from 41 to 55 cm
– The seat is flat, at least 40 cm wide and 44 cm deep. Also this has an adjustable angle of inclination of -7 to 3 degrees and this is to be seated firmly on an angle of -3 degrees
– The front and back of the seat and the top and bottom of the seat back to be completed
– The seat depth is adjustable from 38 to 48 cm
– The front of the seat back is smooth, with no kinks or corners and with a horizontal radius of 40 cm or more
– The width of the backrest is minimum 36 and maximum of 46 cm, the length is at least 37 cm
– The lumbar support is adjustable in height. As the centerpiece of the aid must be at least adjustable between 17 and 23 cm above the seat
– The armrest has an adjustable height of 20 to 30 cm and is at least 5 cm wide and 20 cm long
– The distance between the armrests can be adjusted between 36 and 51 cm
– The distance from the front of the armrest to the front of the seat is at least 20 cm
– The chassis has five castors and rotatable
– The distance between the axis of rotation and the floor is at least 2 cm
– The chair is safe, stable and has no sharp or protruding parts
The types of ergonomic office chairs
When choosing the best ergonomic office chair, there are several types of chairs, each with its own characteristics.Below is a brief overview of the main types.
OFFICE CHAIRS WITH SYNCHRONOUS MECHANISM
In an office chair with a synchronous mechanism, the seat of the chair matched to the movement of the back. In this system, the backrest tilts backwards, while the seat tilts with it. This allows the back to get additional support, but you do not, you fall backwards. The synchro mechanism is adjustable to body weight, so you can choose the correct pressure. So makes an office chair with synchronous mechanism that your body is optimally supported in any position.
OFFICE CHAIRS WITH A BALANCED MOVEMENT MECHANISM
An office with a balanced movement mechanism brings your whole body in motion and therefore goes one step further than a synchronous mechanism. In this type of chair started moving from the feet, improving blood circulation is promoted and the body remains in a better position. The movement is similar to that of a rocking chair, wherein the backrest and seat remain in a fixed angle relative to each other. An advantage of these ergonomic office chairs is that movement is stimulated and create a dynamic posture. Our sitlife office chairs all have a balanced movement mechanism.
OFFICE CHAIRS WITH A PENDULUM MECHANISM
An office with pendulum mechanism gives your back like a constant massage, even if you are sitting still. The pendulum mechanism is the seat of the chair completely loose and moves in all directions. This allows the chair stimulates continuous small movements, which has a positive effect on the spine and reduces back pain. Despite the movable seat gives the chair just more stability and it is very pleasant. As an office with pendulum mechanism always ensures the correct posture and is sure to (prevent) back pain is an attractive choice.
Set up your office
An ergonomic office chair purchase is the first step towards a better sitting position. The next step is to adjust your office chair. Below we will explain in a few steps how to adjust your chair and what things you need to consider.
THE SEAT HEIGHT OF THE CHAIR
The height of the chair should be such that the seat is located at the height of the knee discs and the upper legs and lower legs form an angle of 90 degrees. Make sure that you feel no pressure on your thighs while sitting. Then put your feet flat on the floor and if necessary, set down a footstool.
To support the thighs should look good depth hand (four fingers wide) gap between the front of the seat and the knee.
SETTING THE BACKREST
When sitting mainly the lower need additional support. The bottom of the back rest, also known as lumbar support, takes care of this and supports the pelvis so that it does not tip backwards. Make sure that the backrest is not running on your shoulders so you can move your arms freely. The handrail should also be adjustable so you can adjust the height to suit your height.
Also make sure to adjust the backrest in the sitting area from the seat and backrest must be between 95 and 105 degrees. In a larger seating area drops you, tunes down.
PROPER DETERMINE HEIGHT OF THE ARMRESTS
Adjust the arm rest in such a way that there is a 90 degree angle between the forearm and the upper arm. So rest your arms on the railing and prevent cramped shoulders.
MOBILITY OF THE CHAIR
Choose a chair with wheels that are suitable for the surface of your workplace. With hard floors soft wheels instead add to the best, while harder wheels in soft ground that you stay mobile. The goal is that you can move with the least possible strain on your back.
Tips for a healthy posture
An ergonomic office chair is important for good posture, but there are more things that you can look to create a healthier working environment. Therefore, below are five tips for a healthy working posture:
– Change your position frequently
– Ask your desk at the right height off
– Make sure that other parts of your workplace as your screen is adjusted to the correct height
– Keep moving through here regularly to walk.
– Do stretching exercises to prevent stiff muscles. Below are some exercises do you do behind the desk. Check out more info at ergonomicsource.com